PERSONS QUALIFIED TO OWN REGISTERED NIGERIAN SHIPS
The Merchant Shipping Act 2007 provides that the following are persons eligible to register Nigerian Ships:
a. Nigerian citizens
b. Bodies corporate established under and subject to Nigerian laws, having their principal place of business in Nigeria
c. Such other persons as the Minister of Transport may by regulations prescribe
The owner of the ship or his agent will submit a formal letter of application for registration of the ship inclusive of the following information and supporting documents:
1. Company’s Particulars:
• Copy of certificate of Incorporation
• CTC of Memorandum and Articles of Association
• CTC of Form CAC7 (Particulars of Directors)
• CTC of Form CAC2 (Allotment of Shares) note that company’s share capital should not be less than twenty five million Naira (N25m).
• Company’s current tax clearance certificate
• Company’s Bank statement or reference letter
• Declaration of ownership form (to be issued by the Ship Registry)
It is important to note that in addition to the application for registration, the shipowner is expected to concurrently submit an application for survey and issuance of certificate of tonnage measurement to facilitate the flag survey of the vessel.
2. Vessel Particulars
• Name of ship
• Time and place of purchase
• Name of Master
• Best particulars in respect of the tonnage, build and description of the ship
• Bill of sale or Builders certificate (evidence of title)
• Condition survey report and tonnage measurement certificate as approved by the Minister
• Certificate of carving and marking note of the ship
• Call sign certificate
• Load line certificate
• Report of pre-purchase survey
• Deletion certificate (if vessel is flagging in from a foreign flag, this is to avoid dual registration in line with Article 93(2) of UNCLOS 1982).
• Certificate of approved plan issued by NIMASA for a newly built vessel in Nigeria only.
• Applicant should liaise with NIMASA survey unit for flag state condition survey and issuance of Certificate of Tonnage Measurement.
• Vessel class certificate (for conventional vessel only).
• Payment of Registration fees
• Evidence of insurance/P & I coverage
3. Owners Particulars
• Full names, addresses and occupations of the purchaser of the ship.
• Evidence of ability or experience of the purchasers to operate and maintain ship.
• Log book of the ship to be inspected by the Registrar of ships.
• In the case of second hand tonnage, a bill of sale with warranty against liens and encumbrances from the sellers.
• Evidence of financial resources sufficient for operation and maintenance of the ship
The registration forms may be downloaded on the website or obtained from the Nigerian Ship Registration Office.
1.Application form for Registration of Ship. Click to download
2.Declaration of Ownership on Behalf of Body Corporate. Click to download
3. Application for approval of vessel's Name. Click to download
4. Application To Change Vessel's Name. Click to download